The E3 Countdown begins, with a raft of games being lined up for show including Gears of War, Castlevania, Ni No Kuni and others. Well, with the Activision/Infinity Ward saga closed and E3 due to begin on Monday, the news has been kinda dominated today. Soooo… let’s get this train wreck a-rollin’!
E3 has already got a raft of game announcements. Let’s just run down the list here, shall we?
- Tomb Raider release confirmed as 2013. New trailer doing the rounds.
- Ni No Kuni, out later this year. An RPG by Studio Ghibli, they of Spirited Way? My money. It is yours Sony.
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance due for 2013. New trailer yadda yadda.
- Gears of War. By People Can Fly, they of Bulletstorm. You know, that’s a good idea…
- Splinter Cell: Blacklist rumoured. Interesting.
- Rift getting its first expansion, more to come at E3.
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 to get proper unveil. Also, 3DS version/spinoff Mirror of Fate teaser doing the rounds.
- New Marvel brawler Injustice: Gods Among Us coming up from Netherrealm Studios, they of Mortal Kombat.
- More to come on Hitman: Absolution.
There are also an awful lot of mysterious teasers and “Wait and see!” taunts.
For me, the biggest news in this is Gears of War. It’s kind of been the most successful game this generation, and yeah I rag on it but mostly because it could be brain-meltingly good. Giving it to the tongue-in-cheek People Can Fly is probably the most brilliant thing that could happen to it. Seriously. Gears was too straight laced, okay it doesn’t meed to be a total parody like Bulletstorm but a little lift wouldn’t hurt it!
Of course, Nintendo are conspicuous in their absence of the pre-E3 hype which means they’re playing it all close to their chests. So expect surprises on Tuesday.